Code of conduct
At the Language Policy Forum we want everyone to share ideas, discuss research, learn from each other and network productively, in a safe and comfortable environment.
As a preventive measure and to avoid any misunderstandings, we ask that all delegates adhere to the following code of conduct.
- Presenters should keep to their allotted time.
- Questions should be succinct, and earnestly inquisitive or constructively critical, not overtly dismissive.
- Delegates are strongly encouraged to engage with a range of other delegates, regardless of career stages.
- Delegates are welcome to photograph presentation slides but not the presenters themselves, nor to make recordings of them, unless by prior agreement. Please also check with presenters before sharing photos of them online.
- Any harassment or intimidation based on race, religion, ethnicity, language, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical or cognitive ability, age, appearance, or any other status, will not be tolerated.
- Any unsolicited physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, and bullying will not be tolerated – at the venue, social events, or accommodation.
The committee will address any reports of inappropriate behaviour seriously – and discreetly, in order to protect those raising concerns.
The BAAL SIG committee members are all listed on the committee page. If you ever feel unsafe, threatened or otherwise uncomfortable, come and talk to us.
We will also distribute information about how to access local support services.
Our code of conduct is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This means you can re-use and adapt it for your own purposes, as long as you attribute us and share your new version the same way (see the link for more details).